UNIVERSITY LIGGETT SCHOOL \ ACADEMICS
Advancing Wonder Since 1878
University Liggett School’s prekindergarten program uses the self-guided Reggio Emilia approach to learning — our youngest students are encouraged to draw upon their innate curiosities, empowers them to ask questions and explore both independently and collaboratively their understanding of the world and their place within it.
The Liggett Approach In Prekindergarten
- Student-Centered/Teacher Guided - Students find gems in the “mine” and choose their own method for finding the sum.
- Real-World Connections - Generational bridge between students and GrandPals through The Rivers excursions.
- Choice and Passion = Engagement - Student wonder of jewel sparkles leads to experimenting with reflection and angles using mirrors and flashlights.
- Inquiry-based process and growth - Learning begins with questions, not answers.
- Authentic Assessment - Numeral identification assessed with puzzles
- Responsible Innovation - Use of Glow Forge to create individual letter puzzle pieces