UNIVERSITY LIGGETT SCHOOL \ EMERGENCY DRILLS
\ EMERGENCY DRILLS
Michigan Public Act 12 of 2014 modifies the frequency and recording requirements for school safety drills and became effective July 1, 2014.
Under the new requirements, all schools that operate any grades K through 12 must conduct the following drills annually:
- 5 fire drills per school year.
- 3 must be completed by December 1.
- There must be a “reasonable” interval between each drill.
- 2 tornado drills per school year, with at least 1 taking place in March.
- 3 lockdown drills per school year, defined in the Act as “drills in which the occupants are restricted to the interior of the building.”
- At least 1 taking place by December 1
- At least 1 taking place after January 1
At least one of the drills is required to take place during a lunch or recess period, or at another time when a significant number of the students are gathered but not in the classroom.
The Act also requires that school officials must document completed safety drills on the school’s website within 30 days of completing the drill and maintain this information on the website for at least three years. A copy of each completed drill is posted below.