Calling All Alumni: We Need ARP Mentors!
The Alumni Board of Governors is working hard to create a University Liggett School career network so that alumni of all ages can use their connection with the school to further their own careers and/or help other alumni to do so as well.
We also want to connect current high school students who need help with their Academic Research Projects with Alumni Mentors in a given field who can assist them with some (or all) elements of their chosen project/topic.
ARP Alumni Mentor Job Description:
The academic/professional mentor is an internal or external expert who works closely with the student. The mentor:
- Helps the student establish a practical methodology for completing the research
- Provides expertise and resources that refine and enhance the project, including, when possible, internship opportunities
- Consults with the student and tutor on the feasibility of the goals and plans of the project
- Provides feedback and guidance on the progress and quality of the project
- Provides opportunities for the student to share the work with a broader professional audience
An effective mentor/student relationship requires regular communication, typically via email, between mentor and student and at least one real-time (phone or in person) conversation per month. Mentors can expect to devote 2-4 hours per month until the student completes his/her project.